Kids and adults alike agree that these cookies make the day a little brighter!
Prep time: 40 minutes Serves: 36 (1 cookie/serving)
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml salt-free, non-hydrogenated softened margarine
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml molasses
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml yellow prepared mustard
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups / 500 ml whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp / 5 ml cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml ginger
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml cloves
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml baking soda
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream mixture: In large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar, until light. Add molasses, mustard and egg. Beat well.
- Flour mixture: In another bowl, sift together fl our, cinnamon, dry mustard, ginger, cloves and baking soda.
- Alternately add fl our mixture and buttermilk to cream mixture, mixing well.
- Drop slightly rounded tablespoons (15 ml) of mixture onto baking sheet, leaving 2 inches (5 cm) between cookies.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until top of cookies spring back when lightly pressed on top.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Store in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Buttermilk can be substituted with milk and lemon juice. Combine 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk and 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) lemon juice. Allow to stand 5-10 minutes. Use as you would buttermilk.
Per serving (20.86 g): 59.45 Calories, 1.29 g protein, 10.46 g carbohydrate, 0.96 g fibre, 4.34 g sugar, 1.63 g fat, 0.33 g saturated fat, 0.11 g trans fat, 5.39 mg cholesterol, 41.18 mg sodium
Cookies are always fun to make – and fun to eat too!
This and other great recipes can be found in Mustard Makeovers & More! 100 Marvellous Recipes for Busy Families available here from Amazon.ca.