A universal favourite, this version of the classic “mac and cheese” pleases children of all ages!
Prep time: 25 minutes Serves: 6 (1/2 cup / 125 ml/serving)
- 2 cups / 500 ml whole grain or high fibre, elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups / 300 ml 1% milk
- 1 1/4 cups / 300 ml shredded extra old white cheddar
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml 5% sour cream
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml creamy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml onion powder
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml granulated sugar
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch white pepper
- to taste salt
- Cook pasta as per package directions.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in small sauce pan. Stir in fl our, mixing well. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, cook until sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese, stir until melted.
- Stir in sour cream, mustard, onion powder, sugar, nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- Drain pasta, put in serving bowl, pour sauce over and mix well.
- Serve hot.
- Any grated cheese can be substituted for cheddar.
- For a bolder fl avour, add 1/4 cup (60 ml) blue cheese, crumbled and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Mix in cooked chicken, shrimp or vegetables.
Per serving (171.24): 518.02 Calories, 20.13 g protein, 68.86 g carbohydrate, 6.20 g fi bre, 9.27 g sugar, 18.91 g fat, 11.63 g saturated fat, 0.15 g trans fat, 48.57 mg cholesterol, 575.50 mg sodium