Mustard is one of the world’s most important and oldest spices. It can be consumed in its seed form, crushed into powder, squeezed on your favorite sausage, toasted, cracked, ground, sprouted or spread into any number of culinary favorites, including this fresh fiber-rich mustard quinoa salad. This quick and easy side dish is a great addition to any barbecue.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) prepared grainy mustard (with whole seeds)
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) prepared honey mustard
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Greek feta dressing or Greek salad dressing
- 2 cups (500 ml) quinoa, cooked (see instructions below)
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 ml) cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 cup (250 ml) celery, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn kernels
- 1 cup (250 ml) cucumber, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) red onion, thinly sliced
- To cook quinoa: rinse 1 cup quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Add rinsed quinoa and 3 cups (750 ml) of water to a large saucepan. Bring to boil for 5 minutes on mspinaedium heat. Turn off heat and let continue cooking with cover for 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Let cool.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together mustards and salad dressing. Set aside.
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss cooked quinoa, spinach leaves, tomatoes, celery, corn, cucumber and onion together.
- Stir salad dressing. Pour over quinoa salad mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving (312.99 g): 226.37 Calories, 7.18 g protein, 36.89 g carbohydrate, 5.58 g fibre, 6.88 g sugar, 5.11 g fat, 0.30 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 418.60 mg sodium
These and other great recipes can be found in Mustard Makeovers & More! 100 Marvellous Recipes for Busy Families available here from Amazon.ca.