Pulled pork tacos can also be made without making the cornmeal tamale. Just eliminate cornmeal mixture steps from the recipe.
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dry mustard powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 4-5 lb (2-2 .5 kg) pork butt shoulder roast, trimmed of all skin and fat
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 1 – 28 oz (796 ml) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) prepared yellow mustard
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) apple cider vinegar, divided (4 tbsp + 2 tbsp / 60 ml + 30 ml)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Southwest-type chipotle seasoning
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- if needed water
- 1 cup (250 ml) cornmeal
- 2 cups (500 ml) finely shredded cabbage
- 1 grated apple
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) agave nectar or honey
- 16 small tortillas (wheat or corn)
- Combine dry mustard, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Mix well. Remove 2 tsp (10 ml) seasoning and set aside.
- Rub all sides of pork roast with remaining mixed seasoning.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pork. Cook 2 minutes per side or until browned on all sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, apple sauce, mustard, 4 tbsp (50 ml) apple cider vinegar, chipotle seasoning, jalapeno, garlic and reserved seasoning.
- Cover. Cook on high for 6 1/2 hours or until meat easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Remove meat to cutting board. Using two forks, shred meat.
- Sprinkle reserved 2 tbsp (25 ml) apple cider vinegar over meat. Toss.
- Cover meat and keep warm.
- Measure liquid present in slow cooker. Add water, if needed, to make 4 cups (1 L).
- Return liquid to slow cooker. Add cornmeal. Stir well. Cook on high until thick (about 40 minutes).
- Combine cabbage, apple, cilantro, mustard and agave nectar in bowl.
- Assemble tacos by laying tortillas on counter and spreading about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of cornmeal mixture over each.
- On each tortilla, place 1/3 cup (75 ml) shredded pork down the centre. Put 2 tbsp (25 ml) cabbage slaw on top. Fold in half.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Per serving (276.21 g): 407.41 Calories, 33.68 g protein, 22.27 g carbohydrate, 4.17 g fibre, 5.69 g sugar, 19.60 g fat, 7.22 g saturated fat, 0.23 g trans fat, 107.50 mg cholesterol, 319.72 mg sodium