- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) 2% milk
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp (2 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced, cooked ham
- 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped (reserving two yolks)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture bubbles.
- Whisk in milk, mustards and Worcestershire sauce. Increase heat to medium-high, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute.
- Add ham and chopped eggs and heat through.
- Serve on toast, croissant or waffle.
- Push reserved egg yolk through a sieve, and sprinkle over each serving to garnish.
Per serving (201.9 g): 265.6 calories, 17 g protein, 10.5 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 0.4 g sugar, 16.9 g fat, 8.2 g saturated fat, 0.1 g trans fat, 259.0 mg cholesterol
Wine pairing suggestion
Add some fizz to your orange juice and turn this hearty breakfast into a festive brunch. Mimosa is a cocktail of 3 parts sparkling wine and 1 part chilled orange juice.
This and other great recipes can be found in our Inspired by Mustard Recipe Book available for download here.