This soup tastes best made ahead then slowly reheated before serving.
Prep time: 1 hour, 20 minutes Serves: 9 (1 cup / 250 ml/serving)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups / 500 ml shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml unsalted butter
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled, diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml chopped celery leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 19 oz / 540 ml can no-salt-added white navy beans, drained
- 4 cups / 1 L no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 2 cups / 500 ml water
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml chopped fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml 5% fat sour cream
- 4 tsp / 20 ml all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml creamy dill mustard
- to taste salt and black pepper
fresh dill for garnish
- In Dutch oven or soup pot over medium to medium low heat, sauté onion and cabbage in butter for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add tomato, potato, celery, celery leaves and garlic, stir and cook 8 minutes until tomato can be easily broken down with a wooden spoon. Add beans, broth, water, dill and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Blend fl our with sour cream, add a few spoonfuls of soup stock, stir and slowly add mixture back to soup, stirring constantly. Bring back to a gentle simmer and cook 2-3 minutes. Add mustard and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill before serving.
Per serving (287.65 g): 148.92 Calories, 5.62 g protein, 21.04 g carbohydrate, 5.59 g fibre, 4.37 g sugar, 5.17 g fat, 2.85 g saturated fat, 0.16 g trans fat, 14.67 mg cholesterol, 167.64 mg sodium