Stroganoff, a dish that originated in Russia, is now universally enjoyed with considerable adaptation.
Prep Time: 1 hour Serves: 2 (1 1/2 cups / 375 ml/serving)
- 1/2 lb / 250 g sirloin tip steak, thinly sliced in 1/2 inch (1 cm) strips
- 2 tsp / 10 ml canola oil
- 1/2 lb / 250 g sliced brown mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml crushed red chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml no-salt-added beef broth
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml partly skimmed evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml tomato paste
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml cooking sherry
- 2 tsp / 10 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup / 175 ml whole grain rotini pasta
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml 5% sour cream
- to taste salt
- to taste black pepper
- garnish chopped fresh parsley or dill
- Heat cast iron or heavy bottom fry pan over medium heat. Sauté beef strips in oil 5 minutes until brown.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic, reduce heat to medium, sauté 3 minutes. Add paprika, chili flakes, bay leaf and fl our. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef broth, evaporated milk, tomato paste, sherry and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer. Cover, cook 15 minutes, stirring part way through the cooking process.
- Add pasta, cook on low 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until pasta is cooked.
- Stir in mustard and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with parsley or dill sprinkled over dish.
Per serving (672.17 g): 757.14 Calories, 60.67 g protein, 88.13 g carbohydrate, 10.81 g fibre, 19.18 g sugar, 20.44 g fat, 5.45 g saturated fat, 0.44 g trans fat, 105.84 mg cholesterol, 584.50 mg sodium
These and other great recipes can be found in Mustard Makeovers & More! 100 Marvellous Recipes for Busy Families available here from Amazon.ca.