Our Salmon with Savoury Mustard Sauce includes those heart healthy omega-3s and gets its flavour from pepper, shallots, dill, whole grain or Dijon mustard, lemon juice and zest, as well as vinegar; so you can hold back on the salt if you need to, because there’s a lot of flavour already there! Serve with some whole grains and leafy greens and you’re off to a great heart healthy and balanced start. Steelhead trout lovers can substitute the salmon with trout.
Prep time: 2 1/2 hours Serves: 6
- 1 cup / 250 ml canola oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml chopped fresh dill
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml light sour cream
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp / 5 ml finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp / 5 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml white vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml canola oil
- 4 1/4 lb / 2.2 kg salmon fillet, with skin on
- In a bowl, whisk oil with shallots and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 2/3 marinade onto rimmed baking sheet. Add fish, skin side up.
- Spread the remaining marinade over skin. Cover.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- In bowl, whisk sour cream with mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate sauce until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler and position a rack 6 inches (15 cm) from the heat.
- Scrape marinade off fish and transfer fish, skin down, to another large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Broil fish about 12 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the fillet registers 125°F (50°C).
- Let fish rest for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve with mustard sauce.
Per serving (486.96 g): 1170.48 Calories, 95.55 g protein, 7.20 g carbohydrate, 1.13 g fibre, 4.07 g sugar, 80.53 g fat, 12.52 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 267.38 mg cholesterol, 593.54 mg sodium
These and other great recipes can be found in Mustard Makeovers & More! 100 Marvellous Recipes for Busy Families available here from Amazon.ca.