Prep time: 1 hour Serves: 10 (1 muffin/serving)
- 1 2/3 cups / 400 ml all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml cornmeal
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml granulated sugar
- 2 tsp / 10 ml baking powder
- 1/8 tsp / 5 ml salt
- pinch ground red pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml yellow mustard seed
- 1 cup / 250 ml 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tbsp / 60 ml Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cook bacon and crumble into small pieces.
- Stir together fl our, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and red pepper. Stir in bacon, cheese and mustard seed to coat.
- In another bowl, stir together milk, egg, butter and Dijon mustard.
- Make a well in centre of dry ingredients, add milk mixture and vinegar and stir until just combined. Spoon batter into 10 muffin tins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until muffi ns are golden and wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer muffi ns to wire rack to cool.
- Store in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 months.
Per serving (90.23 g): 281.96 Calories, 7.17 g protein, 22.65 g carbohydrate, 1.38 g fi bre, 3.22 g sugar, 18.01 g fat, 7.75 g saturated fat, 0.24 g trans fat, 52.44 mg cholesterol, 219.54 mg sodium
Wash your hands with soap and water before you start.
These and other great recipes can be found in Mustard Makeovers & More! 100 Marvellous Recipes for Busy Families available here from Amazon.ca.