If you want a smoky flavour in this sauce, add a few drops (or to taste) of liquid smoke, found in the spice section of grocery stores.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 cups (1 L)
Serves: 118 (1 1/2 tsp / 7 ml/serving)
- 1 – 28 oz / 796 ml can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml molasses
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml dry mustard
- 2 tbsp / 25 ml prepared mustard (bacon, onion or garlic)
- 2 tsp / 10 ml chili powder
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml onion powder
- 1/4 tsp / 1 ml black pepper
- 1/8 tsp / 0.5 ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- In stainless steel or enamel pot, combine tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, molasses, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustards, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if desired).
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 5 minutes.
- Pour into glass jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
Per serving (10 g): 8.25 Calories, 0.19 g protein, 1.85 g carbohydrate, 0.17 g fibre, 1.35 g sugar, 0.08 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 19.48 mg sodium
This and other great recipes can be found in our Inspired by Mustard Recipe Book available for download here.