Prep time: 40 minutes Makes: 5 cups (1.25 L) Serves: 70 (1 1/2 tbsp / 20 ml/serving)
- 1 1/3 cups / 325 ml granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml cumin
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml fennel
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml yellow mustard seed
- 1 cup / 250 ml sliced red onion
- 1 – 1 1/2 inch / 3.75 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml minced, seeded Serrano chile pepper
- 3/4 cup / 175 ml water
- 1 lb / 500 g fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml orange peel, cut into matchstick-size strips
- pinch salt
- Measure, prepare and set out all ingredients and utensils prior to beginning actual recipe.
- Bring sugar and vinegar to boil in heavy small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin, fennel and mustard seed. Stir until mustard seed starts to pop, about 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until beginning to brown, stirring continuously, about 6 minutes.
- Add ginger and chile peppers. Stir until chiles soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar mixture, water, cranberries, orange peel and salt.
- Simmer until juices thicken, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Cool, cover and chill. Place in jars.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freezes well.
Per serving (70.92 g): 26.94 Calories, 0.06 g protein, 5.55 g carbohydrate, 0.29 g fibre, 4.96 g sugar, 0.63 g fat, 0.09 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5.71 mg sodium